Well, you’ve made it to the dairy state and it does not disappoint, especially not the peninsula. If you are new to Wisconsin, you may be surprised by how many wineries are in Door County.
Here are some of my favorite places to go for cheese, wine, restaurants, and more:
1) Cheese: Wisconsin Cheese, need I say more?
- Renards Cheese: One the way up (or down), don’t forget to stop at Renards to get some fresh cheese curds or smoked string cheese. Plus, there is a photo option with a mouse.
- Wisconsin Cheese Masters: This shop is located right next to Harbor Ridge Winery. Why not get some cheese and wash it down with some wine next door?
2) Fish Boils: Try a fish boil, which has fresh white fish caught from Lake Michigan cooked over a large open fire. There are two fish boils that I have gone to in Fish Creek worth checking out. Just make sure to call in advance to reserve a slot to attend if you can.
- White Gull Inn: The White Gull Inn is a bed and breakfast with fish boils that won’t disappoint or leave you hungry. It includes bread, white fish, potatoes, coleslaw, and cherry pie for dessert. For those who do not like fish, baked chicken is an option. While waiting for the fish boil, one can easily try a slew of Wisconsin brews. The price for a fish boil for adults in 2022 was $23.50 and for children was $15.40.
- Pelletier’s Restaurant & Fish Boil: Pelletier’s Restaurant is also a great place to visit for a fish boil. Similar to White Gull Inn, the fish boil comes with a non-alcoholic beverage, bread, white fish, potatoes, coleslaw, and cherry pie. Pelletier’s appears to have more options available for those who do not want to eat fish such as ribs and chicken. There are also more kid friendly meals like hot dogs and mac and cheese. Of course, there is also a large variety of beers available for consumption here as this is Wisconsin. The price for this fish boil for adults ranges from $21-24 and a kids meal is $18 dollars in 2022. Additional meals are available.
3) Swedish breakfast: Come prepared to eat Swedish meatballs and pancakes.
- Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant & Butik: Located in Sister Bay, this is the place to come for a delicious Swedish breakfast. Arrive early if you don’t want to wait in line. During the summer, the goats can be seen eating on top of the sod roof as long as the weather is cooperating. There is also a gift shop. Maybe it’s nostalgic but whenever I go, I can’t not get a hot chocolate. They have expanded and there is also a beer garden.
4) Burgers: Come get some burgers, fries, and shakes.
- Albatross Drive-In: Located in Washington Island, this restaurant is close to the ferry dock. It has specialty burgers and delicious ice cream shakes.
5) Bakeries: Fresh bread and pastries? Need I say more.
- MacReady Artisan Bread Company: Shout out to this wonderful bakery. Whether you are here for some fresh bread, lunch, or a treat, it’s delicious. I loved the cranberry chicken salad. They also can have live music. It is open from 9 am-4 pm Thursday-Tuesday in Egg Harbor.
- Sweetie Pies: My friend and I would always have to make a pit stop here on our way up the peninsula. You can get a slice of pie or take an entire pie (or more) home with you. The different types of pie make it quite difficult not to leave with more than a few pie flavors in hand.
6) Fudge and chocolates galore: Make sure you have room for some delicious Door County fudge or candy.
- Door County Confectionary: I am a bit bias towards this as I worked here for a summer but if you are a chocolate and candy lover, don’t forget to go to the Door County Confectionary. They have 4 locations and give generous fudge samples. Pretty much any candy that you can imagine is available there in addition to goodies like a bear claw and chocolate covered Oreos. The Fish Creek location has quite the fudge house to visit.
7) Wine: There are so many great places to go wine tasting in Door County.
- Harbor Ridge Winery: Enjoy a wine flight and head next door to get some fresh cheese to go with the wine. Warning, if you end up a bit tipsy, you may leave with more mementos than anticipated as the winery has amazing signs and decorations everywhere.
- Door County Trolly Inc., Scenic Tours: Go on a wine tour in a trolly. They have two options, a Premier Wine Tour which is 5 hours, where lunch is included and an Uncorked Wine Tour which is 3.5 hours where appetizers are served. Prices for the wine tours were $84.95 for 2022. My friends and I did the Premier Wine Tour for a 30th Birthday Celebration (also perfect for a bachelorette party). For those who don’t like wine, there are also distilleries and of course breweries to try. There are so many types of trolley tours to do aside from the wine tours.
- Stone’s Throw Winery: My friend and I did a wine tasting at this winery. We each got a beautiful wine glass at the end of our tasting to keep.
- Door 44 Winery: Enjoy the beautiful views, while tasting wine. They have a 6-acre vineyard to explore. You can book a winery tour from May-October.
- Lautenbach’s Orchard Country: This is a such a fun place to stop by. At Lautenbach’s you are able to do a tasting, flight, wine by the glass, or bottle. They also have cute wine stemless wine glasses to keep as a memento. Lautenbach’s Orchard Country not only has wine tasting but a market to browse for dips, salsa, jams, soups, and much more.
- Door Peninsula Winery: I normally always stop here when I’m in Door County. Not only do they have more than 60 types of wines and cider, but you can do tastings for free. The Door County Distillery is also located in the same building. My favorite thing to do is have the mulled wine.
It’s time to eat and drink your way through Door County.
How to Get your Belongings Back from a Moving Company Holding Them Hostage
So, all of your belongings have been held hostage by a moving company. Welcome to the club. Now what? I have moved an absurd amount of times. Looking back, in a way, I guess I am lucky I haven’t run into this before. When my boyfriend and I decided to move out of California, we didn’t…
The Pros and Cons of Travel OT:
So, you’re thinking of doing travel therapy? It’s a big decision and the more information you can gather and questions you can ask regarding if it is the choice for you, the better. I decided to do travel OT because I was ready for a change in my career and location as I didn’t see…
There’s No Place Like Home
Traveling can be such a liberating and magical experience. One of the reasons I love to do it so much is because it pushes me to go out of me comfort zone while learning from others who may vary drastically from myself. I’m very grateful to have been able to travel throughout Thailand and explore…